28 April 2008

Bloggity blog.

I updated my LJ too. Whee!

Okay, so firstly: Book-in-a-Year

The year will be up in just over a month. (What? You're kidding.) Unfortunately, the first draft isn't even finished. A little thing called UNIVERSITY happened. As I kinda thought it would. Perhaps I'll give it another short in 2012 once Uni is done with.

Most of the writing I've been doing recently is to do with uni. I've recently submitted a history document essay about the Proclamation of Martial Law by Governor Brisbane in NSW in 1824 and an archaeology literature review about the Lindow Man in particular and bog bodies in general. However, I just started poking at RSSA again yesterday after completing my microeconomics assignemnt. I discovered an awesome paragraph early in the story which has given me hope for the overall health of the piece. I shall repost it here for the fun of it:

Suddenly the pair came upon a bulge in the valley. The banks stood tall on either side, mostly just sheer drops. Actual water poolled in a smaller gully within the valley. It trickled down from the cliff face and onto a series of natural stone steps into the pool. Grass, trees, shrubs and vines filled the area overwhelmingly with green and let off a variety of interesting scents. However the two most striking features were man-made: a tall grey tower, perhaps once part of a castle, with greenery crowning its bulwarks and bursting from its tall, empty windows. Opposite this was a tall wall holding back the earth dug to form this little cove. It too was over taken by growing things.


Now, it's by no means perfect. But I love it because I vividly remember being rather worried while writing that particular paragraph. I wanted to capture a specific photograph in words. And I'm very pleased with it these couple of months on.

A small note about WoDNM: I also poked at this and tacked on a few extra words. I figured out a bit more of the plot. Including a bit where everyone in the whole world DIES. Except the MC and one of his sidekicks (but it isn't Moose!)

Lastly, I've been reading Vindie's (of NiH fame) blog recently and she's posted up two brilliant story ideas. They make me want to write my own stories so much (not to mention read hers) but financial accounting calls...

Love and kisses,

Zaphod
Lol

1 comment:

Phill and Melissa said...

Hi Lauren - nice to see you/ve update your blog- hope uni is going well and I'll see you on the weekend

Lauren's bookshelf: to-read

Doctor Who: The Art Of Destruction
The Silmarillion
Lighthouse Girl
The Count of Monte Cristo
Through Gates of Splendor
The Time Traveler's Wife
Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Buffaloes: Adventures in Arnhem Land
Looks, Brains & Everything
The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators
Testament of Youth: An Autobiographical Study of the Years 1900-1925
The Screwtape Letters
Doctor Who: The Stealers Of Dreams
Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise
Frankenstein
Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life


Books for Lauren to read... »