22 January 2010

So Australia Day is just around the corner and I'm not even close to 40k. But I did start a handwritten short story which seems awfully depressing and the characters have too many shouting matches. But I think I'll see it out to the end and see what happens to them.

I haven't written more of Miss Galaxy but I reread what I've got and I enjoyed it. I think my pitfall is trying to make the murder-mystery too complicated. If I aim for a lower word count I can preserve the premise. I think I might be trying to stretch it over too many words. Then I get nervous and think "If I make that happen now, then there won't be anything to happen in 2000 words time." And that stops me from writing anything at all! Better a short story than no story.

Two side notes: I'm changing jobs mid-Feb and I'm off to a leaders retreat this weekend. My last day of data entry with the Education Department is the 12th. I'll be starting as a receptionist for my church on the same day lectures start for uni: 15/02/10. Should be exciting!

No comments:

Lauren's bookshelf: to-read

Doctor Who: The Art Of Destruction
The Silmarillion
Lighthouse Girl
The Count of Monte Cristo
Through Gates of Splendor
The Time Traveler's Wife
Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Buffaloes: Adventures in Arnhem Land
Looks, Brains & Everything
The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators
Testament of Youth: An Autobiographical Study of the Years 1900-1925
The Screwtape Letters
Doctor Who: The Stealers Of Dreams
Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise
Frankenstein
Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life


Books for Lauren to read... »